Monday, March 10, 2008

Purpose

Purpose. I've read so many books about success, motivation and - purpose. Most of the authors, however, get it wrong when it comes to the issue of purpose. Most of them will tell you that, to discover your purpose, you should look inside yourself first. Then, they give you a list of other things, and then, they tell you to look up to God - usually as an afterthought! Nothing could be more erroneous. That's the wrong order of things. The first step towards discovery of purpose is not to look inside, but to look up to God. When it comes to finding your purpose, God is the first - and not last - person you must turn to. Why? Because, in the first place, God knows you better than anyone else does - even you. That's right, God knows you better than you know yourself. In the second place, God made you and He knows the reason why He made you. It's ridiculous to ask a thing why it was made. You'd have to ask the maker of that thing why he made it. God alone knows what He had in mind when He made you. You have to ask Him what He had in mind when He made you. It would be silly of me to ask my computer why it was made, it would be silly of me to ask my pen why it was made, it would be silly of me to ask my chair why it was made. To know the purpose for those things, I would have to ask their manufacturers. So you see, the first step towards finding your purpose is not to 'know thyself' but to 'know thy maker.'

No comments: